UNK senior Bri Heckenlively supports fellow Lopers as a success coach, writing tutor

Bri Heckenlively decided to become an English educator because she wants to make a positive impact.

For her, the profession goes way beyond simply teaching students about Shakespeare and proper sentence structure.

“Many of the educators I’ve had the privilege of knowing and being a student of provided me with endless support and unconditional compassion when I needed it most, and that is a debt I can only repay by providing my future students with the same support and compassion,” she says.

A UNK senior from Aurora, Heckenlively is studying 7-12 English education with a minor in creative writing. She also serves as a success coach and writing tutor in the Loper Success Hub on campus.

Why is English education important to you?
I decided to study 7-12 English education because I believe writing is an effective way for students to find their creative voice and express themselves. As an aspiring educator who has worked with diverse student populations, I’ve discovered that what some students cannot say out loud, they can write down with a pen and paper.

How did you get involved with the Loper Success Hub?
I decided to be a writing tutor at the Loper Success Hub because I believe in their teaching philosophy. At the Loper Success Hub, our goal is to provide students with the necessary tools for them to be academically successful, but beyond that, we aim to ensure students feel like they are welcome and they belong here. All of the tutors in the Loper Success Hub work hard to create an atmosphere where students know they can trust us to help them achieve their goals, and that’s something I knew I wanted to be a part of.

Tell us about the assistance available there:
As a writing tutor, I help students with a wide variety of things, ranging from developing outlines for research papers to brainstorming possible essay topics to writing strong thesis statements. Essentially, I am equipped to help students with nearly any and all English-related inquiries they may come in with. Above all else, my primary goal as a tutor is to help students acquire the skills they need to become better, more confident writers.

What do you enjoy about being a tutor?
What I enjoy most about being a tutor is getting to witness students’ “lightbulb moments.” In those moments when you see the material finally click with a student, it feels as though there is no better accomplishment. Having the opportunity to help students reach those lightbulb moments is genuinely an honor and privilege that I wouldn’t trade for much else.

Does this role help prepare you for your future career?
Working as a writing tutor at the Loper Success Hub has provided me with the unique and valuable opportunity to work with a diverse student population, which has allowed me to gain practical experience in a classroom-like setting. This experience, I believe, has made me better prepared for my career as an English educator, and for that, I am especially grateful.

What do you want other students to know about the Success Hub?
If there are any students wondering whether or not coming in to meet with a tutor at the Loper Success Hub would be worthwhile, I would urge them to make an appointment and come in and see us! Successful students use their resources, and I may be biased, but I think the Loper Success Hub is one of the best student resources on UNK’s campus. The overarching purpose of our job is to help students, so help us help you by stopping by and using the many services we provide.