UNK students gain classroom experience, inspire young learners through work-study program

UNK sophomore Alyssa Fehringer leads a math activity for students at Meadowlark Elementary School in Kearney. Fehringer works as a tutor through the federal America Reads/America Counts program. (Photos by Erika Pritchard, UNK Communications)

KEARNEY – Alyssa Fehringer rolled two dice on the tiny table, then paused as the elementary student seated next to her totaled the numbers.

1 + 6 = 7

“Awesome,” Fehringer affirmed before adding a third die to the equation.

7 + 3 = 10

“Perfect. Nice job.”

In their short time working together, Fehringer can already see the young girl becoming a more confident learner. That’s the beauty of the America Reads/America Counts program.

“I want to create a passion for learning and inspire kids to love school as much as I did,” said Fehringer, a sophomore at the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

The O’Neill native just completed her first semester with America Reads/America Counts, a federal work-study program coordinated by the UNK Office of Financial Aid.

Through the program, eligible UNK students are hired to work as tutors in elementary and preschool classrooms within the Kearney Public Schools system. They partner with KPS educators to provide additional support and assistance for students, with an emphasis on improving reading and math proficiency.

“We are so fortunate to have UNK as a partner for our students and teachers in each of our elementary buildings,” said Mark Stute, principal at Meadowlark Elementary. “They are truly a wonderful resource.”

Fehringer, who’s studying 7-12 history education, spent two days a week at Meadowlark working with students either one-on-one or in small groups. She assisted a variety of grade and ability levels, allowing her to make an immediate impact while gaining valuable on-the-job skills.

“I’ve known that I wanted to be a teacher since my sophomore year of high school, so I was looking for ways to get into the classroom right away when I got to college,” Fehringer said.

The on-campus classes and observation opportunities are great, she added, but nothing can prepare you for the profession like hands-on experience.

“Every school day is different. There are always going to be different things happening. It’s always going to be so busy,” she said. “A teaching class can’t fully replicate that feeling. You actually have to be inside the classroom working.”

Although Fehringer plans to teach high school history, some of the same techniques and lessons still apply.

“I’ve already learned many concepts that I’ll use in my own classroom,” she said.

UNK freshman Brennalyn Carlson works with kindergartners at Bryant Elementary School in Kearney through the federal America Reads/America Counts program.

ENRICHING EXPERIENCE

UNK has participated in the America Reads/America Counts program for more than 25 years. Last semester, a total of 12 students were placed in nine different local schools.

Tutors are allowed to work up to 10 hours a week, earning $14 an hour.

“It’s definitely an enriching experience for them,” said Anna Gettinger, assistant director of financial aid. “Whether you’re a pre-service teacher or someone who just likes working with kids, this is a great opportunity to help people and witness that growth.”

Dustin Mitchell, principal at Bryant Elementary, agrees.

“All of the UNK students have been a great fit for our school and students,” he said. “They are not all education majors. If they are education majors, it allows them to gain experience in the classroom while they get paid for their time. I feel like working with students can benefit anyone, and it might help direct UNK students to affirm their own education or career decisions.”

Brennalyn Carlson, a freshman music education major from Scottsbluff, was one of two UNK students who assisted at Bryant last semester. Her mother is a fourth grade teacher in Morrill, so education was a natural career choice.

“I think it’s just an instinct I have,” she said. “And I love music. It’s been a big part of me. Anything you can think of that’s music-related, I was in.”

Carlson worked with kindergarten students at Bryant, the perfect position for someone who’s a “kid at heart.”

“I really enjoy this program a lot because you get the experience but you also get to have fun at the same time,” she said. “Seeing the smiles on the kids’ faces always makes my day.”

Carlson and Fehringer both plan to continue working as tutors through America Reads/America Counts, and there are positions available for other UNK students who want to join them.

“We would love to grow this as much as possible,” Gettinger said.

For more information about UNK’s America Reads/America Counts program, contact Joseph Campbell at campbelliiij@unk.edu.