Summer on the Hill: UNK student Paxton Robertson explores careers in Washington, DC

WASHINGTON – Paxton Robertson isn’t wasting any time.

The University of Nebraska at Kearney sophomore wants to take full advantage of the opportunities available to her during college.

She’s double majoring in political science and Spanish translation and interpretation with a French minor and has already completed two impressive internships.

After interning with the local office for U.S. Sen. Pete Ricketts, the North Platte native decided to head to the center of American politics. She spent seven weeks this summer working for U.S. Rep. Adrian Smith’s office in Washington, D.C.

As a congressional intern, Robertson focused on constituent services – answering phone calls, leading tours of the Capitol and interacting with visitors. She also worked on special projects such as researching bills and attending briefings to gather notes.

Adding to the experience, Robertson participated in the Washington D.C. Professional Enrichment Academy, a free program for University of Nebraska students interning in the nation’s capital. Through the program, students meet once a week to connect with prominent alumni, expand their professional networks, discuss current topics and learn more about potential careers.

Why did you apply for this specific internship?
I applied for a lot of different political science internships in D.C. I chose to apply for this one mostly because it would allow me to better understand career options within Congress and more specifically the House of Representatives. I was also interested in it because I would be able to work with other Nebraskans, including UNK alumni.

What did you gain from the experience?
I learned a lot about the many career options that will be open to me after I graduate and appreciated the opportunity to be independent and explore D.C. Being in D.C. allows you to be at the center of U.S. politics, the perfect place to learn about all the amazing opportunities that are out there.

Besides Congressman Smith, who did you meet in D.C.?
Through the DCPEA program, I met a variety of Nebraskans in careers both on and off the Hill. I also had the chance to meet senators, congressmen and the Estonian ambassador.

Tell us more about the D.C. Professional Enrichment Academy:
The DCPEA was hugely beneficial for me. It was a great way for me to meet other interns from Nebraska and it was how I learned about a variety of careers in D.C. Most importantly, almost all of the professionals we met with were from Nebraska, so we learned about the specific ways people from Nebraska ended up with careers in D.C.

Why did you decide to study political science at UNK?
I happened to take a political science class with Dr. Rowling my first semester and really enjoyed it. I liked that it allowed me to learn about history and better understand modern issues. The professors in our department are amazing. They work really hard to engage with every student and they give us so many opportunities to research and travel.

What’s your career goal?
I’m still not sure what career I’d like to go into, but I’m considering working on the Hill once I’m done with college. For now, I would like to explore career options through more internships and then maybe complete a master’s program or go to law school.