Loper golfer Maaika Mestl doesn’t let hearing loss get in the way of her success

“I have hearing aids to help in the classroom. It makes the classroom a little harder because I have to make sure I’m really paying attention.”

By DAN ZIELINSKI
Hub Sports Writer

University of Nebraska at Kearney women’s golf member Maaika Mestl is the definition of a student-athlete.

Maaika Mestl
Maaika Mestl

Besides holding a career stroke average of 85.24, which ranks 12th all-time in program history, Mestl boasts a 4.0 cumulative GPA as an elementary education K-6 major in her first three years at UNK.

“Time management is huge,” Mestl said. “I was involved in a lot in high school so I use that time management to help me in college. I just make sure I stay on top of my schoolwork, while making sure I also work on my golf.”

Her success in the classroom and on the golf course haven’t come without adversity, however.

Mestl is partially deaf in both ears and struggles to hear high-pitch noises.

When she was born, Mestl’s nerves in her ears didn’t fuse, which resulted in her growing up with hearing loss, she said. Hearing in a classroom setting can be difficult for Mestl, especially if she has a female instructor.

“It’s an obstacle in my life but I’ve worked really hard to overcome it,” Mestl said. “I have hearing aids to help in the classroom. It makes the classroom a little harder because I have to make sure I’m really paying attention.”

Mestl grew up around the game of golf. Her father played golf at Kearney State. Both of her parents, Chris and Kim, serve as the golf coaches at Ogallala High School.

The above story is published in the Kearney Hub’s annual UNK Today section.

To read the full story, visit Maaika Mestl