Why did you choose UNK? Freshmen share their excitement

The University of Nebraska at Kearney is welcoming hundreds of new freshmen to campus for the fall semester. Meet six of these students, who talk about their decision to attend UNK.

Henrique Adabo
Henrique Adabo

HENRIQUE ADABO, biology major with health sciences emphasis, Columbus
Why did you choose UNK? “The KHOP Program. They offered me a great scholarship and a great opportunity.”
What’s the best thing about UNK? “It’s a good size and it’s only two hours away from home.”
What are you most excited about as the school year begins? “Meeting a lot of new people and getting involved in a lot of ways.”

Baylee Barnett
Baylee Barnett

BAYLEE BARNETT, health sciences major and chemistry minor, Holdrege
Barnett is also a member of the Loper track and cross country teams
Why did you choose UNK? “For the running program, and it has the UNMC building for my major.”
What’s the best thing about UNK? “It’s the perfect size – not super-big, not super-small – and close to home.”
What are you most excited about as the school year begins? “Meeting a bunch of people and running for a university.”

Molly Con
Molly Con

MOLLY CON, elementary education major, Lexington
Why did you choose UNK? “It’s really close to home, and it was probably the most affordable option.”
What’s the best thing about UNK? “The people are really friendly, and they make an effort to get to know you.”
What are you most excited about as the school year begins? “Getting to know a lot of new people.”

Christian Mikulecky
Christian Mikulecky

CHRISTIAN MIKULECKY, pre-veterinary medicine, Omaha
Why did you choose UNK? “My basketball coach talked about Kearney. One of my former basketball teammates is going here, and my friend Gavin is also going to UNK. My friends kind of brought me in.”
What’s the best thing about UNK? “Getting to meet new people and the welcome everyone has given me so far. It’s nice and friendly and feels like home.”
What are you most excited about as the school year begins? “Getting those new experiences I missed out on in high school. I want to go out and do things I never would have in high school.”

Gavin Myers
Gavin Myers

GAVIN MYERS, elementary education major, Sutherland
Why did you choose UNK? “My sister goes here. I am really familiar with campus and I like it. It’s close to home.”
What’s the best thing about UNK? “Being here with friends and being able to meet new people.”
What are you most excited about as the school year begins? “Meeting more people and gaining new friends.”

Hannah Sullivan
Hannah Sullivan

HANNAH SULLIVAN, undecided, Wallace
Why did you choose UNK? “I’ve been to the campus so many times through different events. It’s really familiar to me. It feels like home.”
What’s the best thing about UNK? “The positive vibe you get from everybody. It feels really welcoming.”
What are you most excited about as the school year begins? “Learning new things, meeting new people and getting new experiences.”