KEARNEY – Eight rural school teachers will be honored on the One Room, One Teacher Honor Wall at the University of Nebraska at Kearney Sept. 19.
UNK’s One Room, One Teacher effort aims to help preserve the stories and history of rural education.
“We felt it was important to memorialize the efforts and pay tribute to the one-room school teachers and the part they played, because they educated generations of Nebraskans under very difficult conditions,” said Ed Scantling, dean of the College of Education. “Their students went on to be the teachers, physicians, business leaders and scientists who helped make Nebraska the great state it is today.”
Donations to the University of Nebraska Foundation in support of the program fund scholarships for future teachers.
Contributors have their name – or name of a person they are honoring – permanently displayed on the One Room, One Teacher wall of honor at UNK. Many of those honored are graduates of UNK, but the university also wants to honor non-alumni. Anyone who taught in a rural school in Nebraska is eligible for the honor, and individual schools may also be recognized.
“The College of Education and University of Nebraska at Kearney is proud to acknowledge and honor the hard work and the dedication of these outstanding educators through the One Room, One Teacher program,” Scantling added.
The induction ceremony for One Room, One Teacher will take place at 4 p.m. Sept. 19 in the UNK College of Education atrium.
The One Room, One Teacher wall was established last year, when 35 teachers were honored.
One Room, One Teacher Honorees
- Opal Irene Beavers Brodine, Elm Creek – Phelps County rural school, Elm Creek
- Rev. Tobias H. Buehner (deceased), Lubbock, Texas – rural schools in North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska
- Beulah Mauler Deines (deceased), Gering – Buffalo County School District #116, Pleasanton Rural School, Clay Center District #70, Sutton rural school
- Phyllis Hefti Finkner, Minden – Lenora Country School, Pleasant Plain School, School District #66, Omaha rural school
- Edith Wurst Gloystein, York – Seward County School District #7, School District #3 Beaver Crossing, School District #6 Milford
- Marjorie Schutte Martin, Acton, Calif. – School District #60 Rosemont, Hansen and Hastings rural schools
- Dolores Mae Line McFarland (deceased), Lexington – Reed School
- Florence Arlene Sukraw, North Platte – Huebner School, Long School, Hansen School, West Osgood School, North Osgood School, Nichols School, Star School, Miller School, Platte Valley School
Source: Ed Scantling, 308.865.8502, firstname.lastname@example.org
Writer: Sara Giboney, 308.865.8529, email@example.com