The University of Nebraska at Kearney is implementing new security measures for Friday’s spring commencement at the UNK Health and Sports Center. We ask all guests to arrive early and travel light, as you may be subject to search upon entry. Doors to the event open at 8 a.m, with commencement starting at 10 a.m.
Three public entrances are available at the Health and Sports Center:
– The main entrance is located at the west side of the building off the pedestrian bridge.
– The other entrance is on the east side of the building.
– A third entrance for graduates is at the north end of Cushing Coliseum but is not open to the public.
Bag / Purse Policy
Guests should expect a visual inspection of person, bags and clothing capable of concealing prohibited items. Small clutch purses and wallets are preferred at entry and will expedite inspection.
For safety reasons, prohibited items include but are not limited to:
– Any type of weapon, fake weapon or object resembling a weapon. This includes firearms, knives, tasers, chains and any item deemed to compromise public safety
– Alcohol, drugs, illegal substances, vaporizing pens / E-cigs or any paraphernalia associated with drug use. The Health and Sports Center is a smoke-free facility
– Animals (except service animals)
– Laser pens / pointers of any type
– Noisemakers (including air horns, cow bells or whistles)
If an item is revealed during a search, patrons may dispose of the item or they may return the item to their vehicle. UNK Health and Sports Center does not safeguard any personal belongings or items of any type.