Kommers retires after 22 years at UNK in Communication Disorders

Kommers-Mary-web

Mary Kommers

Job Title: Senior Lecturer/Clinic Coordinator, Dept. of Communication Disorders

Years at UNK: 22 (10 years part time)

Career Path: Began as a part-time clinical supervisor and became clinic coordinator in 2006

Family: Husband, Phil; Son Mark, 34; Daughter Katy, 30.

Hobbies/Interests: Needlework, Word Puzzles, Bridge, Reading

Three words that describe your personality? Friendly, cheerful, professional

Share something about yourself few people know? I was a double major in French along with Speech-Language Pathology as an undergraduate.

What do you like most about your job? The triad of working with great colleagues, interested students and fascinating clients

Biggest change you’ve seen at UNK? New facilities. We moved from the center of OLD West Center to a converted area in Welch Hall to our very nice clinic in the College of Education building.

Best career advice you received? Who gave it to you? “Always do your best.” My dad.

Favorite thing about UNK? The size of the campus and the outlook of the faculty to make their students their No. 1 priority

Favorite place to visit on campus? The planetarium

Biggest challenge you faced in your time at UNK? Finding the balance between criticism and positive reinforcement to shape a new clinician

What qualities make someone successful in your position? Attention to detail and a love for how the brain processes language

How do you measure success? By how much I have helped others discover their best way to communicate

Tell me about the time in your life at UNK when you worked the hardest? My first year as clinic coordinator. Finding my own method to organize the tasks before me

If you could go back in time, what would you do differently? Although I have loved my career, I could see myself in a whole different arena, perhaps as a geneticist or even a tax accountant.

What is your fondest memory of UNK? My colleagues over the years. Each one has inspired me in a different way.

-30-