Comic book artist Derek Yaniger to visit UNK, display work

Derek Yaniger’s “Dig Them Crazy Scribbles” gallery features a collection of paintings and serigraphs inspired by the ‘50s and ‘60s. Yaniger creates most of his work for conventions and special events, but he is also known for working with Marvel Comics and Cartoon Network. (Courtesy photo)

Source: Doug Waterfield                                                      
Office: 308.865.8352
email: waterfieldd2@unk.edu

KEARNEY – Acclaimed comic book artist and mid-century illustrator Derek Yaniger will visit the University of Nebraska at Kearney Oct. 16-17.

He will share his experiences with various art classes, and his work will be on display in the Walker Art Gallery through Nov. 1

Doug Waterfield, chair of the Department of Art and Art History, said Yaniger’s visit is valuable for all students. “Any time we have an opportunity to bring in professionals from the industry and have students interact with them, it’s a win-win situation for everyone,” he said.

An artist’s talk is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Oct. 17 in the Recital Hall of the Fine Arts Building. The lecture is free and open to the public, and there will be a reception in the gallery to follow.

Yaniger expects the artist’s talk to be exciting and informative. “I’m gonna give them cats the straight skinny on what I’ve learned,” he said. “I’ll walk ’em through what I do and how I do it, answer any and all questions, work with them as much as they’ll let me and hopefully inspire a few to keep at it and don’t ever give up.”

Titled “Dig Them Crazy Scribbles,” the show features a collection of paintings and serigraphs inspired by the ‘50s and ‘60s. Yaniger creates most of his work for conventions and special events, but he is also known for working with Marvel Comics and Cartoon Network.

The Walker Art Gallery is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Tours can be arranged by calling the UNK Art Office at 308-865-8353.

-30-