Study abroad trip leaves lasting impression on UNK junior Dolcie Hanlon

The class wasn’t part of her major, but that didn’t matter to Dolcie Hanlon.

She really wanted to go on the study abroad trip.

A UNK junior studying business administration and sports management, Hanlon and other Lopers spent spring break 2023 in the Czech Republic as part of a marketing class focused on international experiential learning.

They visited three different regions in the country – Prague, Moravia and Brno – and collaborated with Palacky University in Olomouc. The UNK students also created a marketing plan for Veles Technology, a startup that sells virtual reality headsets.

“The experience was extremely valuable, and not something you can learn from a textbook,” said Hanlon, a Grand Junction, Colorado, native and member of the UNK women’s soccer team.

Tell me about the trip. What things were you able to do?
On the trip, we got a lot of free time to explore the sites with our classmates and the students we met from Palacky University. We also got to tour local small businesses in Olomouc. This was very interesting and insightful to help with our class project and give me a global mindset.

What was your favorite part of the trip?
My favorite part was St. Patrick’s Day in Prague. The night before the students at Palacky University took us to Blabla, a karaoke bar in Olomouc. On St. Patrick’s Day, we took a train back to Prague, and it was packed with people celebrating. We got to tour Garden on the Ramparts and enjoy one last day together. Three other girls and I decided to get tattoos to remember our trip.

I also learned that in the Czech beer is actually cheaper than water.

Have you ever been outside the U.S. before?
Yes, this was my sixth time being out of the country and the second time traveling to Europe. When I was younger, I visited Ireland with my family.

Why should other students study abroad?
I strongly encourage other students to study abroad. I made lifelong friendships, and the trip was very enriching, leaving a lasting impression on me.

SELECT YOUR STUDY ABROAD DESTINATION