Ask an Antelope: Andrew Winscot keeps campus healthy

Andrew Winscot joined the UNK staff in 2017 as assistant director of Campus Recreation after spending two years with Kearney Park and Recreation. The Oxford native earned a bachelor’s degree in health and human performance with a business minor and coaching endorsement from Midland University in 2010.

Why did you decide to work at UNK?
I chose this position at UNK for the opportunity to develop and work alongside college students who share many of the same passions and interests I have. Campus Recreation has such a family-like environment and involves a ton of teamwork. I was excited to take on the challenge of building a workplace culture that demonstrated those values.

How do you serve students and the university?
I provide overall supervision and leadership to all Campus Recreation program areas, including the Wellness Center, climbing wall, Outdoor Adventure program, intramurals and club sports. I spend a large portion of my time developing staff, which includes six professional staff, three graduate students and more than 50 student staff. Aside from the day-to-day operations, I am responsible for creating strategic plans for long-term programs, equipment and facility-related projects and decisions.

Why should students get involved in Campus Recreation?
To meet and connect with other students and to challenge yourself to either try something you are not familiar with or to seek self-improvement in some way. Prioritizing your health while in school can be simple and easier than most think. The hardest part is choosing to do it.

What’s the most enjoyable part of your job?
I work within a few feet of a fitness center and a gymnasium! I love being involved in an active and fast-paced environment.

What do you love most about UNK?
I love the community and culture on campus. It is easy to collaborate throughout campus with other offices and organizations. I believe there is a student-centric focus on campus and everyone wants to work together to make decisions in the best interests of UNK students.

Share a fun fact about yourself:
I am a very competitive person. Anything from card games to catching the most fish, I like to make almost everything I do a competition!

“Ask an Antelope” is a Q&A series highlighting UNK faculty and staff and their impact on the campus and community.