Celebrating Greek Week: Gamma Phi Beta President Jocelyn Rauert

Grade: Sophomore
Major: Elementary Education
Hometown: Wood River

Why did you join a UNK sorority?
I joined a sorority to be part of a sisterhood that is involved in the community, supports one another and allows me to meet new people. Gamma Phi Beta is truly my home away from home. I can count on my sisters to be there for me and can be myself around them. I am very close with my family, so having a group of people here in Kearney was something I wanted.

What’s the best part of Fraternity and Sorority Life?
The best part of being involved in Fraternity and Sorority Life is the connections I have formed with others, not only in my chapter but others as well. My experience at UNK has definitely been better because I have been in a sorority and in the FSL community.

How has Fraternity and Sorority Life impacted your college career?
Fraternity and Sorority Life has impacted my college career by expanding my leadership skills. While this position does have its challenges, I think it will be very beneficial for my teaching career.

To lead a group of about 90 women, I have learned how important being an active listener is and how to have honest and tough conversations. The networking and relationships I have with my sisters, other FSL presidents and other people from various chapters have been a very positive aspect of my experience in Gamma Phi Beta and FSL.

Why should incoming students get involved with Fraternity and Sorority Life?
Students should become involved with FSL because of all the opportunities it provides. I have gained leadership skills, numerous friends and experiences I will hold onto forever. I love our philanthropy, Girls on the Run, and being able to give back and support young girls. We are building strong girls through this program – both the younger girls and the girls in Gamma Phi Beta.

DID YOU KNOW?

• Roughly 1 in 5 UNK freshmen join a fraternity or sorority
  • UNK fraternity and sorority members complete more than 25,000 community service hours annually and raise thousands of dollars for charities
  • UNK fraternity and sorority members finished the spring 2020 semester with an average GPA of 3.32
  • Compared to the overall student population, fraternity and sorority members are more likely to finish their degree at UNK and support the university as alumni

LEARN MORE ABOUT FRATERNITY AND SORORITY LIFE