Ayush Dhungel: Fake snakes and all, Kearney is ‘warm and welcoming’

Ayush Dhungel
Ayush Dhungel

Ayush Dhungel – Jhapa, Nepal

Major: Applied Computer Science

Year in School: Sophomore

Family: Mother, Kamala Neoupane; Father, Mohan Dhungel; Sisters Aastha Dhungel, Purnima Neoupane and yeshu Gautam; Brothers Aseem Ghimire, Rachit Neoupnae and Bibatshu Gautam

Hobbies/Interests? Cooking, listening to music

What is something about yourself that few people know? One day I saw a snake in the back yard of my house and was freaked out. I avoided going there for like a week but still I could see it through the window. Eventually, I called my friend and grabbed a stick to chase the snake. To my surprise, I found that it was just a rope and I spent a week thinking it was a snake.

How did you make the decision to come to UNK? It was my sister who influenced me to come to UNK. Also, I did some research after I heard of UNK and found that the computer science program was better than my previous university. So, I decided to come to UNK. After getting into UNK, I was nervous, but Tracy Falconer and other people in the international office provided me a good guideline on how to adjust in Kearney. Teachers and faculty members helped me a lot in my classes. Also, I got a job at the IT department, which allowed me to learn information in my field that will help me create a good resume.

What is your favorite thing about the Kearney community? Kearney has always been warm and welcoming to me. People are friendly and kind; this place feels as if I was born and raised here.

What is your fondest memory of UNK so far? Going to the International Food and Cultural Festival, as I have never tasted so many different foods from different countries at the same time.

What is the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your time at UNK? The biggest challenge is transportation, as Kearney doesn’t have public bus service, Uber cannot be found and cabs are too slow as well as expensive.

What advice do you have for other international students considering UNK?  Don’t be scared to come to a new place, especially when it is UNK. Your future will be in secure hands.

Your favorite place to visit in Kearney? I like to visit Yanney Park. The view from the top of the tower is mesmerizing.