MY LOPER LIFE: Herrarte works through depression to inspire others through photography

Carlos Herrarte“You may get knocked down a thousand times, but all it takes is one time to realize there is greatness within you.”
– Carlos Herrarte

“There was a time in my life when I lost confidence and stopped believing in myself. I was unhappy and felt like everything I was doing had no value. The people who helped me through my depression and anxiety were my family, friends, Lexington community members and the staff at UNK Counseling.

“The first step was realizing I needed to handle this all natural. I believe medication is a useful resource, but not for me. I also learned that staying productive – even if it’s just organizing files – was helpful. I had to find motivation when there was no motivation. I’m not trying to sound conceited, but I realized that I am a great person with the ability to make a difference.

“I’m a talented photographer who can use his work to create something bigger. I have the ability to do so many great things and to help others do great things. I knew that if I continued living the life I was living before, I wouldn’t become the person I am meant to be.

“Now, I’m content with life and finding joy in inspiring others through my photography. It’s okay to be afraid. Just don’t let fear stop you from pushing yourself to do the things you want to do. Use that as a motivational tool to pursue and cultivate your talents. You may get knocked down a thousand times, but all it takes is one time to realize there is greatness within you.”

– Carlos Herrarte | Senior | General Studies | Lexington