Krysls of O’Neill named UNK Outstanding Family

The University of Nebraska at Kearney named the Krysl family of O’Neill as its Outstanding Family Award winner for 2016. UNK junior Abby Krysl, third from left, was recognized with her parents, Steve and Meredith, and younger sister, Emma, on Saturday.

By SARA GIBONEY

KEARNEY – The family of Abby Krysl is the University of Nebraska at Kearney Outstanding Family Award winner for 2016.

A first generation college student, Krysl is a junior elementary education major and the daughter of Steve and Meredith Krysl of O’Neill.

“What I admire most about my family is their support for me,” Krysl wrote when nominating her family. “They love seeing me happy and following my dreams here at UNK. I’m very thankful that I have a family that is loving and supportive of me.”

Krysl-Family-of-Year-2The Krysl family was featured in the UNK Homecoming Parade Saturday morning, introduced during halftime of the Homecoming football game and watched the game with Chancellor Doug Kristensen in the Nebraskan Student Union suite.

The Outstanding Family Award is given based on what the student most admires about his/her family, and how family members have encouraged the student’s education and had an impact on the student’s academic and personal life.

In her nomination form, Abby said her parents encourage her to work hard in school and create memorable experiences.

“My mom loves sending care packages or letters when I get a good grade in one of my classes,” she said. “I struggle with academics, so getting that extra encouragement from them makes me feel a lot better. They are always reminding me of how proud they are because they didn’t get this amazing opportunity like I do to go to a university.”

Abby’s father, Steve, is a self-employed truck driver who travels frequently. Despite his full schedule, he attends all of Abby’s activities on campus.

“I thought since I moved to college, he wouldn’t attend as many of my activities,” she said. “I’m from O’Neill, which is about three hours away from Kearney. It can be a long drive, but that doesn’t stop him from coming here for all of my activities. He loves coming to UNK football games while wearing his cool Loper hat and shirt that I got him.”

Abby’s mother, Meredith, a paraprofessional educator at an elementary school, and younger sister, Emma, also enjoy coming to campus to support Abby. The entire family visits UNK during homecoming to attend Abby’s activities through her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi.

“Without my family, I don’t know where I would be today. I love them so much. My parents are very hard workers and have shown me that whatever I do in life, I need to do it with good morals and values,” Abby said.

Family Day is sponsored by Loper Programming & Activities Council.

-30-