LOPER FAMILY OF THE YEAR NAMED AT UNK

Heather Wolf
coordinator of Student Activities, Nebraskan Student Union, 308.865.839

The family of the 2012 UNK Homecoming Queen Whitney Nelson has been named the 2012 Loper Family of the Year at the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

As the 2012 Loper Family of the Year, the Nelson family of Hastings was featured in the UNK Homecoming Parade and introduced during half-time of the homecoming football game last weekend. The award is given based on what the student most admires about his/her family, and how family members have encouraged the student’s education, and had an impact on the student’s academic and personal life.

Speaking of her family, Nelson said: “My family has always been such a dynamic source of encouragement. Through their relentless support and understanding, I have been able to reach for higher goals and strive for greater successes. If there has ever been a moment when I needed a boost of energy, a pump of confidence or just a reality check, they have come through.”

A senior biology major with a pre-med health science emphasis, Nelson is a Dean’s List student. In addition to high academic standards, Nelson is an officer in Alpha Omicron Pi, serves as the senior resident assistant for Nester North and is president of Mortar Board. She also serves as a senator for Student Government and is a member of the Health Science Club. Nelson’s older brother Zach graduated from UNK with a political science degree in 2006.

“My parents continued to support and attend UNK activities and events even while I was studying across the world in the Netherlands,” Nelson said. “They have each in their own individual ways contributed not only to my success as an individual, but they are supportive of the entire UNK community.”