MUSEUM OF NEBRASKA ART MAKES LINCOLN JOURNAL STAR ART EDITOR’S TOP 10 FOR 2003

Audrey Kauders
(308) 865-8559

Kent Wolgamott, Arts and Entertainment editor for the Lincoln Journal Star, has selected RSVP: MONA as one of his Top 10 art shows of 2003.

In announcing his top picks, Wolgamott wrote: “In the past, I’ve included gallery openings and closings and artists and critics I’ve met through the year. This year, however, I’ve limited myself to exhibitions — primarily museum shows — that stayed with me from the time I saw them until now.

“RSVP:MONA. Curator Josephine Martins assembled a strong, representative sampling of Nebraska art and artists for the second biennial invitational at the Museum of Nebraska Art in Kearney. Heavy on Lincoln artists, RSVP: MONA had a distinct contemporary focus and included some edgy work. Among my favorites there were gun paintings by Craig Roper, quilts by Michael James, Sandra Williams’ always entertaining polyurethane pieces and Eddie Dominguez ceramics.”

Wolgamott’s list of top picks included shows at the Nelson Atkins Museum in Kansas City, and the new Dia Beacon Museum in New York.

RSVP/MONA: Contemporary Art Invitational, on exhibit April 27 – July 27, 2003, was one of MONA’s leading contemporary art exhibitions featuring some of the best Nebraska artists working in a broad range of media,” said Audrey Kauders, director of MONA director. “When RSVP/MONA was first developed in 2001 as a biennial exhibition, it was intended that each show would highlight the diverse nature of contemporary art in Nebraska.”