Michener enjoyed her students, colleagues and chalkboards during 26 years at UNK

MARGARET MICHENER
Job Title: Senior Lecturer, Mathematics and Statistics
Years at UNK: 26
Family: Husband, Don; Son, Chris, who is an actuary in Omaha; and two granddaughters
Hobbies/Interests: Singing and listening to music, camping, reading, being around horses
Three words that describe your personality: Outgoing, friendly, love to laugh

Share something about yourself that few people know:
I love rock music and love to sing along with oldies in the car while driving.

What do you like most about your job?
When students come to me for help so I can get to know them better and feel like I’m helping them accomplish their goal of getting a good grade and eventually graduating from UNK.

Biggest change you’ve seen at UNK since you started?
More emphasis on technology in the classroom, which is something I’ve had to adapt to. For many years I taught with chalk at the chalkboard and did grades by hand instead of using a software program.

Best career advice you received? Who gave it to you?
Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can accomplish today and have a good work ethic. My parents were both educators and taught me that.

What is your favorite thing about UNK?
Working with students and colleagues.

Where is your favorite place to visit on campus?
I love the new Discovery Hall.

Biggest challenge you faced in your time at UNK?
I had to teach a class for liberal arts students when I first arrived. Being a math major, all of the material I had to teach was new to me except for the statistics portion. So, I had to learn as I taught, and it took a lot of hours to feel confident in teaching it to answer questions that students had.

What qualities make someone successful in your position?
Have a good knowledge of the subject, have good time management skills and be accessible to students.

How do you measure success, in terms of your career?
When I had students in one class tell me they liked my teaching style and wanted me for the next math class as well. That made me feel that I was teaching them well.

Tell me about the time in your UNK career when you worked the hardest:
When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, and I had to transition in a week’s time to online. I had never given online tests before or used publisher’s online resources.

If you could go back in time, what would you do differently?
I probably would have started using overhead notes earlier than I did instead of using the chalkboard, because I could face the students easier and see who had their hands up for questions. I only started using the overhead when I had shoulder surgery and couldn’t use the chalkboard.

What is your fondest memory of UNK?
I was part of a Bible study with other colleagues for years, and we formed a close bond with each other.