Hodge’s biggest challenge in 35 years at UNK? Deciding it was time to retire

Kay Hodge RetirementName: Kay A. Hodge
Job Title: Professor, Department of Management
College: Business and Technology
Years at UNK: 35

Education: Bachelor of Arts, Education, Kearney State College, 1981; Master of Science, Education, Kearney State College, 1983; Ph.D. in Administration, Curriculum and Instruction, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1988.

Hobbies/Interests: Gardening, crocheting, cooking, reading murder mysteries, traveling

Family: Daughters Amanda Skala, Kearney Ampride manager; Stephanie Kee, CHI Health Good Samaritan quality control; and Hiliary O’Neill, CHI Health Good Samaritan pediatrics nurse. Four grandchildren and one great-granddaughter.

Share something about yourself that few people know? I am shy, and I do not like crowds.

What do you like most about your job? The students are the best part of my job. I like getting to know them and watching them grow intellectually over the years

Biggest change you’ve seen at UNK since you started? The expansion of UNK to west campus, inclusion into the University of Nebraska system and the changes that came with that move.

Best career advice you received? Who gave it to you? Guyla Armstrong and Shirley Houston were instrumental in my career. Both were great role models and educational activists. Guyla told me not to fall in love with my research. Do it. Make the requested changes as long as they did not change the essence of the work and get published. The time will come when people ask you about how they can better their research.

What is your favorite thing about UNK? The collegiality in the Management Department.

Where is your favorite place to visit on campus? The Frank Museum

Biggest challenge you faced in your time at UNK? Deciding that it was time to retire.

What qualities make someone successful in your position? Patience, faith, persistence and flexibility.

How do you measure success, in terms of your career? I reached the goal of full professor, and I am actively involved in publishing. I am an expert on case research, and I am currently the executive director of the Society for Case Research.

Tell me about the time in your life at UNK when you worked the hardest? At one time I was working on my doctorate and teaching a full load (four classes) on campus, plus serving numerous committees that required time and work. I was also raising my family – the girls were in high school and junior high and very involved in the school athletically – so I tried to attend all of their activities as well. I honestly don’t know where I found the time to do the whole job.

What is your fondest memory of UNK? Simply having the opportunity to work here and touch so many lives and meet so many people.