Senior art exhibition features Cruz, Krause, Jacobitz

By ADRIANNA TARIN

KEARNEY – Three art majors at the University of Nebraska at Kearney will have their senior projects displayed through Dec. 5 in the Walker Art Gallery inside the Fine Arts Building.

The Fall 2013 Exhibition features the work of Karina Cruz, Schuyler; Shelby Krause, Lincoln; and Jeff Jacobitz, Kearney. They will host a reception from 4 to 6 p.m. on Saturday (Nov. 23) as part of the exhibition.

Information about the artists and their projects:

Karina Cruz

Her project includes linoleum wood block prints, oil and acrylic mediums with titles “In the Jungle,” “Aztec Dancer,” “Continuing Tradition,” “Tradition Continues” and “Mother’s Love.” Other works include “Traditional Dance,” “Simplicity,” “Natural Beauty,” “Mexican-American” and “Honoring the Past.”

“To this day I am still exploring different mediums and styles. I don’t feel like I’ve found my own style yet because it has taken me a while to get myself out of the mindset that art isn’t making a picture that looks realistic,” Cruz said. “Art goes far beyond that and it’s what I want my art to reflect.”

“As an artist, that is where I find myself at this moment in life. And it is an important point that I’d like to express through my artwork,” Cruz said.

After graduation, Cruz plans to become a teacher of art or Spanish.

Jeff Jacobitz

Jacobitz will feature bronze, oil and charcoal pieces including those titled “Solitary Foreboding,” “Behind Wisdom,” “Pheonix,” “Isolation,” “Looking to the Past,” “The Waiting,” “Beauty” and “Stoicism.”

“The idea behind my work derives from my sympathetic nature as a human. I love the fact that there is so much beauty in everyone no matter age, gender, shape or size,” Jacobitz said.

Jacobitz plans to be an art teacher after graduation.

“As an art educator, my aim is to help students discover a passion and skill in the visual arts field,” Jacobitz said. “I want to motivate them to go beyond their typical realm of thinking by facilitating a classroom that is conducive to inspiring learning of visual art skills.”

Shelby Krause

Her project includes silkscreen print, oil pastel and chalk pastel pieces titled “Face of God,” “In Bloom,” “Fatale,” “Winding Road,” “Hold Onto Your Heart,” “Overthinking,” “Words and Images,” “Look Closer” and “Social Media.”

“As long as I can remember I have been fascinated by the strings of the fabrics we use to create our lives. My work is the exploration of reality as we know it,” Krause said. “I want to show them other sides of the social norms, giving them information that they can use to make a conscious decision, another way to strengthen the fabric of their reality, a way of looking at the world, and a way of living.”

Krause plans to get a job as a teacher in art or English after graduation.

The Walker Art Gallery is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

-30-

Source: John Fronczak, 308.865.8084, fronczakje1@unk.edu
Writer: Adrianna Tarin, 308.865.8454, tarinay@lopers.unk.edu