FRANKLIN FOX DIARY NOV. 3 SATURDAY AT THE FRANK HOUSE PROGRAM

Sally Hale
Frank House, 308.865.8284

As part of the Saturday at the Frank House series on Nov. 3, Sally Hale of Kearney will present her research on the Franklin Fox Diary.

This program, which is free and open to the public, will begin at 1:30 p.m. at the Frank House located on the University of Nebraska at Kearney West Campus.

According to Hale, Franklin Fox was a Union soldier in the Civil War, and he volunteered out of Michigan.

“The Franklin Fox diary was discovered in the Frank House by archivist Rachael Downs,” Hale said. “I was then assigned the task of electronically preserving the document.”

While going through this process, Hale said she found it fascinating and decided to apply for the Undergraduate Research Fellows Program.

“I asked Dr. Combs to mentor me through the project, because I knew about his book titled ‘Do They Miss Me at Home?’ and his experience with documents from the Civil War,” Hale said. “I was accepted into the program, and I will complete my research in April.”

In her presentation, Hale will discuss her research process, and will highlight the experiences, successes and difficulties that she has had.

“I will talk about what I have uncovered about the soldier, thus far, and how his story is important in understanding our American history.” Hale said. “Ideally, I will eventually be able to uncover the mystery of how the diary came to be at the Frank House.”

Regular walk-in-hours at the Frank House are Monday through Friday, 2-5 p.m., and Saturday, noon-5 p.m. The Frank House is closed during UNK breaks and holidays. Donations are always accepted.

For more information, visit www.frankhouse.org, and find the Frank House on Facebook at www.facebook.com/UNK.Frank.House to stay up-to-date with the Frank House activities.