Dr. Maha Younes
Department of Criminal Justice and Social Work, 308.865.8741

Initial informational meetings about a new University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) off-campus Master of Social Work program located at the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK) will take place at 3:30 p.m., and again at 5:30 p.m., on Tuesday, Sept. 27, on the UNK campus.

Representatives from the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) will be on hand to discuss the MSW options. The program is set to start a year from now in 2012. The first off-campus MSW program at UNK started in 2004.

“We’ve had tremendous success with our graduate students in Kearney,” said Dr. Theresa Barron-McKeagney, director of UNO’s Grace Abbott School of Social Work. “What is being planned for next year is a next step with two different MSW offerings.”

One MSW option will be “foundational,” the Foundation Program for graduate students without a BSW (bachelor’s of social work) background. They will take six classes from the UNK Department of Social Work and complete an internship in the region. The entire foundation program can be completed in one year and ensures entry into the master’s program. An Advanced Standing Program will be for students who already have their BSW degrees.

Dr. Maha Younes, chair of the UNK Department of Social Work, said she sees great opportunities for students who wish to advance their professional preparation, address the shortage of social workers, and fulfill the behavioral health needs of the Central and Western Nebraska.

UNK has had a Department of Social Work for 31 years and maintains the highest enrollment of undergraduate social work students in the state. UNO’s School of Social Work has a statewide mandate and has been nationally recognized for its graduate offerings.

Those interested are encouraged to attend one of the two UNK informational meetings, which will take place in Founders Hall, Room 2137 at 3:30 p.m and 5:30 p.m.

UNO will also recruit and hire a faculty member who will work at UNK in support of the MSW program. For more information, call (402) 554-3502.