KRISANN SULLIVAN NAMED DIRECTOR OF THE HISTORIC G.W. FRANK HOUSE ON THE UNK WEST CAMPUS

Curt Carlson
Vice Chancellor for University Relations, 308.865.8529

Curt Carlson, vice chancellor for University Relations at the University of Nebraska at Kearney, today announced the appointment of KrisAnn Sullivan of Kearney as director of the G.W. Frank House, a 19th century mansion located on the UNK West Campus.

“KrisAnn brings to this position an ideal complement of aesthetic and historical appreciation and expertise, grant-writing skills, community orientation, educational accomplishment, programming savvy, great energy and boundless enthusiasm,” Vice Chancellor Carlson said. “I am truly excited that a person of such fine caliber and credentials will soon be on board to lead the day-to-day activities of the mansion, as well as to coordinate our efforts to preserve and enhance the wonderful Frank House.”

Sullivan, who has been an art therapist and instructor at the Youth Rehabilitation and Treatment Center for the past 25 years, will be transitioning into the position now through June, when she will actively assume her duties.

In addition to her work as an art therapist and instructor, Sullivan has written numerous grants, 95 percent of which have been funded. The majority of the grant projects were community service and technology based, and involved activities at the Museum of Nebraska Art and Rowe Sanctuary. In addition, she has been a lecturer in the UNK Department of Art.

Sullivan holds a master of professional studies from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, N.Y., an M.A. in secondary education from the University of Nebraska – Lincoln and a bachelor’s degree in art education from Hastings College. Her awards and honors as an art educator include the National Art Education Association’s 2000 Nebraska Art Educator, the Excellence in Arts Education Governor’s Arts Award and the Christa McAuliffe Prize.  

“In addition to the wide variety of talents she brings to the directorship, KrisAnn also has a history of respect and appreciation of historic homes,” said Bobbie McKenzie, president of the Friends of the Frank House. The Friends of the Frank House is a volunteer group that supports the house in fund-raising, special events and public awareness.

“The Frank House is an historical, cultural and educational treasure, and I’m honored to be entrusted with its care on behalf of the university,” Sullivan said. Sullivan has experienced first-hand restoration of a period home.

“I grew up in a house built before 1900,” she said, “and I have fond memories uncovering layer upon layer of wallpaper and stenciling as my mother and I sorted fact from fantasy about the mothers, fathers, and children who lived and died creating beauty and home in the same space.        

“When it came time for my husband and I to establish our home, we furnished it with family pieces, some dating back to the 1870’s,” she said. “In a well-dedicated period home, history becomes personal–time and space become sacred.”

“When I enter the Frank House, I feel like I’m coming home again, and I want others to feel the same anticipation and welcome when they enter,” she said. As director, Sullivan will be overseeing the daily operations of the Frank House.  

At the same time,” Vice Chancellor Carlson said, “she will lead a process to design and implement new and creative ways this magnificent facility, as one of the truly unique assets of the Kearney community and the State of Nebraska, can serve the university’s mission.”