UNK Announces 2002 Outstanding Family Award

Sharon Pelc
Nebraskan Student Union director, 308.865.8523

As part of the University of Nebraska at Kearney’s Family Day celebration, the 2002 Outstanding Family Award will be awarded to Erica Wendland, senior from Oshkosh, and her family. Chancellor Doug Kristensen recognized the Wendlands during half time of the UNK-Western State football game on September 21 at 1 p.m. at Foster Field.

Erica actively participates in the Honors Program, Student Activities Council and Student Government. Her parents, Ken Wendland and Colleen Erickson Wendland, are both graduates of UNK. Ken taught at Garden County High School and Colleen was a teacher at Oshkosh Elementary School.

“I’ve had amazing examples in my parents and overachieving sisters. Last year when my sister Nikki became sick and passed away, it was the strength of my family that helped me finish the school year strongly. I feel truly blessed to have this wonderful web of love and encouragement,” Erica said.

Erica’s oldest sister Kristi graduated from UNMC and is a physician at Regional West Medical Center. Nikki, her next oldest sister, graduated from UNK in 1999 and was a part of the track team and the Honors Program.