UNK CHANCELLOR ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

University of Nebraska at Kearney Chancellor Gladys Styles Johnston announced that she will retire at the end of the academic year. In announcing her retirement in a campus-wide notice today, Chancellor Johnston said, “I am announcing my decision to retire as Chancellor of the University of Nebraska at Kearney,effective June 30, 2002. As of that date, I will have completed nine years as the leader of this vibrant institution.”

Dr. Johnston continued, “During that time I have accumulated many extraordinary memories. Included especially among them are the cherished relationships I have with the many persons in the university, in this progressive city, and in this special state. The citizens of Nebraska and the President and the members of the Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska have supported this university and me in the most positive manner. Truly, the City of Kearney is a remarkable community. Living here has enriched my life immeasurably.”

University of Nebraska President L. Dennis Smith said, “Gladys has served the University of Nebraska and the Kearney community very well during her tenure as Chancellor. She has strengthened the campus and brought national attention to UNK. We will be sorry to lose her.” Smith indicated that he will commission a national search for a new UNK Chancellor.

Dr. Johnston became the Chancellor at UNK in August of 1993. Before joining UNK, she was provost and then executive vice president at DePaul University in Chicago, as well as previously dean and professor of education in the College of Education at Arizona State University.

Dr. Johnston reflected, “Now, I believe, is the time for me to restructure my professional life, to pursue actively a less demanding path that will keep me active in the academy while providing me more flexibility in the pursuit of personal goals.”

Chancellor Johnston serves on numerous civic, educational and commercial Boards of Directors. She currently serves on the Executive Committee of the National Collegiate Athletic Association and is chair of Division II; a member and chair of the Board of Directors of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, chair of the Omaha Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, and a member of the Board of Directors of the American Council on Education. Her current Nebraska board memberships include the Kearney Area Chamber of Commerce, the Museum of Nebraska Art, the Educational Television Consortium for Higher Education, and the Overland Trails Council of the Boy Scouts of America.

Dr. Johnston received a bachelor’s degree in Social Science from Cheyney University of Pennsylvania, a master’s degree in educational administration from Temple University and the Ph.D. in educational administration and organizational theory and behavior from Cornell University.