TRIO makes higher education more accessible

TRINITY ANGLE

Grade: Sophomore
Hometown: Nemaha
Major: 7-12 Language Arts Education

How has TRIO impacted your college career?
TRIO makes the entire world of higher education more accessible and easier to understand. I am first-generation and navigating higher education felt impossible my freshman year. Through financial literacy to life tips, my adviser, Rashawn Harvey, and all of the other advisers and staff have been there for me every step of the way. I really appreciate the community and family I have found in the TRIO program. All of the staff are there for me whenever I need something and I just get the genuine feeling that they all care about me, which I know is true.

What’s the best part of being a TRIO mentor?
Getting the opportunity to give back to a program that has helped me so much. I have connected with my advisers and other TRIO students on a personal level. I feel like it has helped me grow as a person. I think I learn just as much from my mentees as I hope they learn from me.

TRIO Student Support Services is a federally funded program that assists first-generation and income-qualified students and those with documented disabilities during their pursuit of a college degree by providing academic and personal support, financial guidance and career development opportunities.

Part of UNK’s Academic Success Offices, the program’s mission is to increase student retention and graduation rates through services such as:

• Academic tutoring (in partnership with the UNK Learning Commons)
  • Course selection and four-year planning
  • Advising and success coaching
  • Financial planning and financial aid support
  • Foundations for Learning, a three-credit hour transition course that counts toward graduation
  • Peer mentoring
  • Personal and academic counseling
  • Assistance with graduate school and scholarship applications

NATIONAL TRIO DAY CELEBRATION

UNK is hosting a National TRIO Day celebration 3-4:30 p.m. Monday in the Nebraskan Student Union Ponderosa Room. The event will highlight the TRIO program and recognize the successes of participating students.