LOPER FAMILY OF THE YEAR NAMED AT UNK; FAMILY DAY IS SATURDAY, SEPT. 24

Sharon Pelc
Nebraskan Student Union director, 308.865.8523

A Milford family has been named the 2011 Loper Family of the Year at the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

The 2011 Loper Family of the Year is the family of Bradley Rediger of Milford. The family will be featured in the UNK Homecoming Parade Saturday morning and be introduced during half-time of the Homecoming football game. The award is given based on what the student most admires about his/her family, and how family members have encouraged the student’s education and had an impact on the student’s academic and personal life.

“On Family Day, we pay tribute to the families of all UNK students,” said Sharon Pelc, director of the UNK Nebraskan Student Union. “We have a tradition of honoring one family as the Loper Family of the Year.”

Speaking of his family, Rediger said: “I admire the fact that my family genuinely enjoys spending time together. My family has always encouraged me to set high goals and follow my dreams. We have made countless memories together at UNK. I am extraordinarily proud to call myself a Loper.”

A senior majoring in business administration, Rediger has a 3.95 grade point average. In addition to maintaining high academic standards, he is involved in Circle K, LPAC, SIFE, Make a Wish, Student Diplomats, the Honors Program and the Newman Center.
He serves as the Disney College Program Campus Representative for UNK.

His younger sister Megan also attends UNK. She is a junior majoring in family studies. Numerous members of the Rediger family have graduated from UNK, including their parents Terry and Peggy Rediger of Milford. Terry and Peggy met while attending UNK and were Loper sweethearts.

Also being recognized as finalists for the award are the families of Megan Wagman of Omaha and Rachel Vogel of Howells.

Wagman, a special education K-6 major from Omaha, is a member of the Sapphire Dance Team. Her younger sister Angie also attends UNK. The two are the daughters of Ric and Liz Wagman of Omaha.

Wagman said: “What I admire most about my parents is their passion to keep our family life as stable as possible regardless of the adversity we may come across. We have a special bond, my family; a family full of noble hearts.”

Vogel, a studio art comprehensive major from Howells, has a 3.93 GPA. The daughter of Kenneth and Carol Vogel, she has two older siblings who are also UNK graduates.

Vogel said: “I greatly admire my parents’ dedication and commitment to our family. While three of us have attended UNK, my parents have made the three-hour trip countless times to move us in, to visit, and to attend band performances and induction ceremonies.
We are proud to be part of the UNK family.”

Family Day is sponsored by Loper Programming & Activities Council (LPAC). The LPAC Family Day chair is Briana Mohr, a UNK student from Omaha.