SENIOR ART MAJORS EXHIBIT THEIR WORK IN THE UNK WALKER ART GALLERY NOW THROUGH FRIDAY, APRIL 8

John Fronczak
308.865.8084

Screen prints, watercolors and ceramics by three senior art education majors are on display at the University of Nebraska at Kearney Walker Art Gallery now through Friday, April 8.

The featured artists include Emily Geschwentner of McCook, Chad Cochran of Imperial and Jon Sandau of North Platte. On Saturday, April 2, there will be a reception for the three from 2-4 p.m. in the gallery. The reception is free and open to the public. The UNK Walker Art Gallery, which is located in the UNK Fine Arts Building, is open Monday- Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. There is no admission charge.

“The senior exhibit is a chance for the art students to show their work and make connections in the art world,” said John Fronczak, UNK Walker Art Gallery director. “Just like athletes, it is important for the community and fellow students to come support the work of the art students.”

Geschwentner is displaying a variety of works in several media including–acrylic, water color, pastel and screen prints. After graduation, Geschwentner said she plans to look for job opportunities teaching art and eventually get her master’s degree in art therapy.

“My artwork is a combination of spontaneity and deep thought,” Geschwentner said. “Art is a means for me to learn, explore, think and express myself, so sometimes the meanings behind my pieces are obvious to the viewer, which allows for them to think and consider for themselves.”

Cochran said that he represents Christian figures and his personal interests throughout his artwork. His artwork includes screen prints, a bronze statue, and a pen and ink print. After graduation, Cochran said he plans to find a teaching job in western Nebraska.

“I grew up doing mostly drawing and painting, but media such as printmaking, clay, welding and bronze cast were all new to me,” Cochran said. “I especially enjoyed creating metal sculptures; besides the fact that I enjoy creating with my hands, the idea that those pieces could last forever appeals to me.”

Sandau is exhibiting numerous pieces of pottery. In addition to the pottery, there are several painting and prints, including a watercolor. After graduation, Sandau said he plans to teach art at the high school level. He also plans to continue his education and earn Master of Fine Arts and art history degrees.

“I think it is important when creating my art to explore different cultures and historical periods for ideas and inspiration, especially in my ceramic work,” Sandau said. “I incorporate these techniques in the creation of new ‘contemporary’ forms, and I like to mix ancient Greek, Roman, Mesoamerican and Oriental styles.”