Frank House Has a New Director for a Year

Sarah Jones
Educational Program coordinator, 308.865.8284

UNK- Sarah Jones has been named director of the Frank House on the University of Nebraska at Kearney campus.

Jones replaces KrisAnn Sullivan, who is a taking a one-year leave of absence. The one-year appointment became effective July 6.

A native of Clinton, Mo., Jones holds a master’s degree in art history from the University of Missouri in Columbia. She earned a bachelor’s degree in art history from UNK in 2008.

“She has knowledge about the history of the house and the history of the Frank family, which makes her a great replacement,” Sullivan said.

“The timing was perfect,” Jones said. “I wanted to take a year off of school after graduate school, so this was my opportunity to do that.” Jones plans to pursue a doctorate degree after her year at the Frank House.

As an undergraduate at UNK, Jones worked at the Frank House for two years as a tour guide.

“As an undergrad, working here at the house, she witnessed the energy produced by connecting generations,” Sullivan said. “Her knowledge, passion, ‘can do’ attitude and big smile will serve UNK and the Kearney community well.”

“The Frank’s have been in my life for four years,” Jones said. “When you research someone so long, they become a part of your life.”

Jones’ duties at the Frank House will include administrative work, marketing the house, taking reservations, event planning, and supervising the tour guides and volunteers.

According to Jones, Sullivan will be in contact throughout the year as a consultant to help make the transition smoother when Sullivan returns from her leave of absence.

I’m thrilled to continue in a volunteer role as consultant until I resume my duties,” Sullivan said. “Together we will continue preserving and sharing this Nebraska treasure.”

Jones was a teaching assistant at University of Missouri in the art history department and said she is looking forward to the fall, so she can begin working with students again.

“My objective for my year here is to get more UNK students in the Frank House,” Jones said. “I would like to get a UNK student Friends of the Frank House started, so students can volunteer and participate in projects.”

Jones’ office is located on the second floor of the Frank House, in a small room that was formerly a bedroom.

“My office is in Eliza Galloway’s room,” Jones said. “Eliza was the Franks’ chief of staff, so I guess you could say that the room is still servant’s quarters.”

The Frank House is open Monday-Friday, 2-5 p.m., and Saturdays, noon-5 p.m. The house is free and open to the public, but donations are accepted.