UNK Symphonic Band Performance

Dr. Neal Schnoor
UNK director of Bands, 308.865.88631

The University of Nebraska at Kearney Symphonic Band, which gave an invited performance for the Nebraska Music Educators Association conference earlier this month in Lincoln, and present an encore performance of that concert Thursday, Dec. 1, on the campus.

The band, under the direction of Dr. Neal Schnoor, will perform several selections featuring many band members including an oboe solo by Lindsay Roper from Pierce, in Oboe Concerto in C minor.Roper is a music education major and has been playing the oboe for nearly nine years.

Also among the selections are two original pieces composed by Dr. Ron Crocker, professor of music, and Takayuki Muto, an international student from Shiroi, Japan.

Dr. Crocker, who composed Jubilant Celebration for the UNK Centennia l, is the associate dean of the College of Fine Arts and Humanities, and teaches in the Department of Music and Performing Arts.

The Wise Old Man Remembers  was composed by Muto, a senior music  composition major. This musical selection was written to honor the elderly, especially his grandfather, and is also a reminder to the young to respect the aged as they are revered in Asian cultures.

According to Dr. Schnoor, the Pride of the Plains  marching band performed for six home football games and two parades during the fall season. For the upcoming concert, many members changed instruments and roles as the marching band then transitioned into a concert ensemble.

“After the home concert on Dec. 1, the wind ensemble will then prepare for its first overseas tour to Italy,” Dr. Schnoor said.

The university band will perform in Montecatini and Florence before traveling to Rome to march in the New Year’s Day parade.

The UNK university band includes members from all four academic colleges, and more than 20 UNK departments. Among the members, 40 percent are music majors while the other 60 percent are non-music majors.

The UNK Symphonic Band members are listed below, alphabetically by hometown:

Archer – Jody Neel, tuba
Atkinson – Becci Osborne, trumpet
Axtell – Heather Colling, trumpet
Ayr – Derek Gangwish, trombone
Beatrice – Mark Nelson, euphonium
Beaver City – Bridgette Robinson, trumpet
Belgrade – Kristi Scott, flute
Bellevue – Adam Hotchkiss, trombone; and Corrina Wright, bass clarinet
Broken Bow – Nick Brennan, baritone saxophone
Chadron – Jonathan Dailey, trombone
Columbus – Lindsay Starostka, clarinet
David City – Chris Hein, percussion
Franklin – Savannah Murphy, clarinet
Fullerton – Kalie Wetovick, percussion; and Amanda Dubas, flute
Gothenburg – Danielle Jahnke, euphonium; and Katie Moore, bass


Grand Island – Thomas Carlson, percussion; Mackenzie Cochran,

percussion; Adam Eschliman, trumpet; and Paul Zeleski,

Gretna – Bethany Chandler, oboe
Henderson – Mark Hiebner, euphonium
Hickman – Jessica Niemeyer, flute
Holdrege – Megan Brestel, tuba
Howells – Rita Vogel, clarinet
Kearney –  Lynn Beistline, clarinet; Abby Bittman, tenor saxophone;
John Harrold, trumpet; Ashley Hellerich, clarinet; Stacy Laue, flute;
Matthew Manning, tuba; Eryn McBride, clarinet; Paul Niedbalski,
trombone; Josh Palmer, percussion; Lance Rall, trumpet; Amber
Rieken, clarinet; and Brent Roemmich, alto saxophone
Lewellen – Sarah Fritsche, flute
Lincoln – Jessica Adcox, clarinet; Jessica Duryea, flute; Jason Gfeller,

trombone; and Jennifer Smith, flute

Loomis – Kimberly Anderson, alto saxophone
Malmo – Bryce Urbanek, trombone
McCook – Shawn Pfanstiel, clarinet

North Platte –  Michael Conley, trumpet; Antonio Diaz, trumpet; Turner

Dorr, percussion; Rebecca Gosnell, alto saxophone; and Kari
Sawyer, clarinet

Omaha – Jonathon Flanagan, trumpet; Zachary Harbert, euphonium;

Katie Langenfeld, bassoon; Sarah Mellick, percussion; and Micah
Yost, clarinet and bass clarinet

Ord – Jacob Neeman trumpet
Osmond – Kari Ekberg, flute
Palmer – Josh McIntosh, percussion
Papillion – Amanda Foy, clarinet
Pierce – Lindsay Roper, oboe
Plattsmouth – Megan Kumler, flute
Ralston – Adam Grazier, euphonium
Ravenna – Brandon Bohn, trumpet
Scottsbluff – Lindsey Bennett, trumpet
Sidney – BrenDee Brauer, trumpet
St. Libory – Adam White, percussion
Wallace – Celeste Lempke, trombone
Wayne – Emily Brady, clarinet; and Joseph Brumm, tuba
West Point – Phillip Erb, euphonium
Wood River – Timothy Davis, trombone; and Sarah
Uhrich, clarinet


Longmont – Megan Busch, flute
Ordway – Mandy West, percussion
Paonia – Adrienne Olin, flute and piccolo

Cedar Rapids – Corey Marz, French horn

Union – Brett Kluever, trombone


Garden City – Kerri Myers, oboe

Pearl – Leslie Scifres, French horn


Herndon – Kimberly Minnig, flute


Gifu – Yasuyo Shikano, trumpet
Nagooka kyo shi – Shozaburo Takahashi, flute