UNK freshman Daler Rahimov feels at home in Kearney, despite the wacky weather

Daler Rahimov

Hometown: Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Grade: Freshman
Major: Computer science
Professional goal: I want to use my programming skills in the astrophysics field; specifically, working on the modeling of extraterrestrial objects such as black holes, quasars, gravitational waves, neutron stars and other obscure astronomical objects.
Fun fact: I can beatbox. I have been practicing this form of art for more than six years. It is just unbelievable and insane what the human mouth and voice are capable of. Beatboxing is not only a way to impress people, but it also improves listening skills and can strengthen and protect the vocal cords. Moreover, beatboxing ameliorates creativity and musicianship, enhancing your sense of rhythm and timing. The beatbox community keeps growing, which is absolutely fantastic.

Why did you decide to study in the U.S.?
I had a childhood dream to study in the U.S., as it was the dream of almost every boy my age. The educational system is considered one of the best in the world, with great opportunities, specifically in the science sector. For someone pursuing a bachelor’s degree in computer science, the U.S. is one of the best environments.

Why did you choose UNK?
First and foremost, I definitely made the right decision by choosing UNK. UNK appeared in all the rankings I reviewed, and it offers an incredible variety of programs for all specialties and fields of study. UNK is very affordable for all students – domestic and international – and there are scholarship opportunities that help students pay the tuition and housing costs. It is not as high-priced as Ivy League colleges and universities, but the level of education at UNK is definitely on par with these institutions.

What’s your favorite thing about UNK?
The community at UNK is definitely what I value the most. As an international student, I had concerns about whether I would be accepted by other students and professors. Luckily, I am in an environment that I feel the most comfortable in. I feel like I am home. That says a lot.

What was the most surprising thing when you arrived in Nebraska?
Definitely the weather! It is extremely unpredictable. It took a long time for me to get accustomed to Kearney weather. Honestly, I still get confused from time to time.

What’s the biggest difference between Kearney and your hometown?
The size. I came from a city with a population of more than a million. Dushanbe is huge relative to Kearney; therefore, we have lots of skyscrapers and unique buildings. The architecture of Dushanbe totally differs from here. The classic oriental style is a distinct feature of Tajikistan’s constructions.

What should people know about your home country?
Tajikistan has an exceedingly rich history that absolutely mesmerizes me. We have countless traditions that are unique in their own way. These are what make us who we are. I am proud to be Tajik and representing my country at UNK. Also, hospitality is an indispensable feature of Tajik people and culture. In our culture, a guest is considered “a gift from God,” so we make every effort to make guests feel at home.

Why should students consider studying abroad?
It’s an unforgettable and extraordinary experience. Having a chance to explore a new country, new people, new culture and new traditions is immensely valuable and it alters your worldview.

LEARN MORE ABOUT UNK INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION