UNK’s Chancellor’s Cabinet reports that effective Monday, Feb. 8, the university’s pandemic response status moves to Phase II. All students, employees and campus visitors are required to wear a mask that covers the nose and mouth in all public and shared environments on campus.
To slow the spread of the virus and keep UNK safe, please comply with the following Phase II protocols:
- People diagnosed with COVID-19 must be cleared by UNK’s Public Health Center before returning to campus activity. Those in contact with positive-tested or symptomatic individuals must contact the PHC at 308.865.8279 and may be required to quarantine and be cleared by PHC before resuming campus activity.
- Self-serve meals are structured so Sodexo employees plate food rather than allow students to handle utensils. Seating is structured so there is six-foot spacing between dine-in students. Students have take-out meal options.
- All events hosted on or off campus by UNK groups must be approved by the Event Approval Committee. No events sponsored by non-UNK groups will be approved. Event organizers must submit an event plan and room/table request form no later than three weeks prior to the event. Events on campus are limited to 50% of room / venue capacity. Room and venue capacities also follow current Directed Health Measures.
- No organizations or individuals may distribute food for fundraising purposes. Food distribution for entertainment or other purposes must follow terms of the UNK Dining Contract and other UNK policies.
- Classroom population density should allow six foot spacing between individuals wherever possible.
- Instructors must wear masks in the classroom. Faculty should be cognizant of students who need to see the speaker’s mouth to understand speech and should wear a mask with a clear plastic mouth covering if that is indicated.
- Instructors should consider providing students with alternative class participation methods if they are not able to be in the classroom because of illness.
- Those participating in university travel will be required to wear masks while in the vehicle with other people, and at other times when they are within six feet of other people.
- Residents living in CTW, CTE, Men’s, Mantor, Randall, URS or URN residence halls may have up to 3 total guests in their rooms. Residents in Village Flats, Antelope or Nester halls may have up to 6 total guests in their suites or apartment common areas. Guests must wear a mask that covers the mouth and nose in all public and shared environments while in the residence halls and apartments. This includes common areas, restrooms, elevators, hallways and lobbies. This includes outside areas when a 6-foot distance cannot be maintained.
- Textbook areas in Antelope Bookstore will be restricted to bookstore employees only. Staff will pull textbooks for students. Clothing and apparel displays will be spread out to reduce concentration of shoppers.
Quarantine & Isolation
- Individuals who test positive are required to isolate. If the Public Health Center believes you were in contact with someone who has COVID-19, you will be contacted directly and given information on how to proceed.
- Students should NOT self-quarantine without first contacting and getting confirmation to do so from UNK’s Public Health Center at 308.865.8279. It’s difficult to medically clear students if they do not communicate with the PHC.
- Faculty/staff should NOT assign quarantine dates and/or instruct students or employees to quarantine without collaboration from the Public Health Center. Quarantine decisions should come only from medical professionals, not faculty/staff.
Free Campus Testing
UNK is offering free COVID-19 tests for students and employees during the spring semester. Testing will occur 5-7 p.m. Mondays and 6-8 p.m. Tuesdays in the Ockinga Seminar Center on campus. COVID-19 testing is available by appointment only, with three pathways to schedule a test:
- Individuals referred to the testing site by UNK’s Public Health Center or Student Health
- Members of the student population who are selected for random testing
- Students and employees who request a test by emailing email@example.com
UNK will prioritize testing for those referred by the Public Health Center or Student Health and the random testing program, which is voluntary. Students and employees experiencing symptoms and those who may have been exposed to the virus should contact the Public Health Center at 308-865-8279 or firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about testing options. More info on campus testing HERE