By SARA GIBONEY
KEARNEY – The 14th annual Kent Estes Justice For All Conference, which is Friday (April 14) at the University of Nebraska at Kearney, will focus on addiction.
The event begins at 8 a.m. and is in the Ponderosa Room in the Nebraskan Student Union.
Sponsored by the UNK Department of Counseling and School Psychology and the UNK chapter of Chi Sigma Iota, the conference features speakers who will discuss addiction and suicide, opioid addiction, methamphetamine addiction, the neurology of addiction, sexual addiction, and addiction and domestic violence.
Morning keynote speaker, Dr. Kenneth Zoucha, will discuss prescription drug abuse.
Afternoon keynote speaker, Kyle Harshbarger, investigative sergeant and team commander of the emergency services unit for the Kearney Police Department and criminal justice instructor at UNK, will discuss investigating teen suicide and death notifications.
The cost is $35 for UNK faculty, staff and students and $75 for professionals. The cost for three or more professionals from the same organization is $50 each. To register, contact Ashley Zikmund at firstname.lastname@example.org or 308.865.8508.
Professionals can earn continuing education units for attending the conference.
Kent Estes began teaching in 1975 at Kearney State College and served as chair for the counseling and school psychology department for more than 30 years. Estes battled leukemia throughout the later part of his life and died in 2005. According to the Department of Counseling and School Psychology, students who graduated under his tutelage still talk about him with respect and admiration. The conference aims to honor his legacy.
Justice for All Conference Schedule:
8-8:30 a.m. – Registration and Breakfast
8:30-10 a.m. – Keynote – Kenneth Zoucha, M.D., Prescription Drug Abuse – Safe Because it is Legal?
10:10-11:10 a.m. – Breakout Sessions 1
- Kay Glidden and Beth Reynolds, Region III Behavior Services, Self-Care is Not Selfish: Creative Tools for Transforming Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Trauma.
- Brad Butler, Kearney Police Department Investigator, Methamphetamine Addiction and Drug Laboratory Overview
11:20 a.m.-12:20 p.m. – Breakout Sessions 2
- Bryce Riessland, LMHP, LADC, CSAT, The Sex Addiction Cycle and How it Works
- Russell Janssen, Case Manager at Open Door Mission, Personal account of Heroin Addiction
12:20-1:30 p.m. – Lunch on your own
1:30-2:30 p.m. – Breakout Sessions 3
- Michelle Miller, LCSW, At the Intersection: Understanding Substance Use by Victims of Domestic Violence
- Carol A. Larson, MSEd, MA, LIMHP, LPC, The Neurology of Addictions
2:45-4:15 Keynote – Kyle Harshbarger, Investigative Sergeant, Team Commander ESU Team, Instructor at University of Nebraska at Kearney, Investigating Teen Suicide/ Death Notifications