Finance students score at 99th percentile on Major Field Test

University of Nebraska at Kearney finance students in the College of Business and Technology scored at the 99th percentile on the Major Field Test when compared to the thousands of students nationwide who took the test in 2016.

The Major Field Test is a comprehensive undergraduate and graduate assessment that measures critical knowledge and understanding obtained by students in a major field of study. The test is administered by Educational Testing Service (ETS).

Abbey Rhodes
Abbey Rhodes
Bryan Luna
Bryan Luna

ETS develops, administers and scores more than 50 million tests annually. UNK students were tested in the field of business.

“Becoming part of the Finance program at UNK was one of the best choices I made in my academic career. The program consists of brilliant, caring and genuine students and professors,” said recent graduate and Renaissance Financial of Omaha employee Bryan Luna. “The professors gave me the confidence, work ethic and knowledge to excel in my post-graduate career, and I could not be happier with the connections I have made and the knowledge I have gained.”

The Major Field Test does more than measure students’ factual knowledge. The test also helps faculty evaluate students’ ability to analyze and solve problems, understand relationships and interpret material from their major or field of study.

The Educational Testing Service offers comprehensive national comparative data for the Major Field Test. This enables universities to evaluate students’ performance and compare their program’s effectiveness to programs at similar institutions nationwide.

“I am proud of our finance faculty and students. The faculty create high expectation, and the finance students rise to meet them. People who employ CBT Finance graduates know they have something special,” said Department Chair Steven Hall.

According to the CBT Career Center, finance graduates have been hired by the following organizations in the past year: Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., Nebraska Safety Center, NebraskaLand National Bank, Young Financial, Merchant Metals, Union Pacific, Wells Fargo, Town & Country Bank, Aspen Contracting Inc., Buckle, Constructors Inc. and Renaissance Financial.

“My experience in the finance program at UNK has been challenging, but certainly rewarding,” said recent UNK graduate Abbey Rhodes, FDIC financial institutions specialist in Appleton, Wis. “Each of our respectable professors emphasizes the benefit of experiential learning through numerous opportunities such as managing the Bauhard investment fund in Investments, consulting with local businesses to improve their business and finances in case studies, and conducting relevant research projects in Financial Institutions.

“These experiences and more equip UNK students with the knowledge and tools necessary to compete in the modern business world.”

-30-