Youth Empowerment Conference motivates middle school boys

By ADRIANNA TARIN

KEARNEY – Almost 80 seventh- and eighth-grade boys from central Nebraska attended the first BETA-Men Youth Empowerment Conference Oct. 11 at the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

In partnership with the Office of Multicultural Affairs, members of Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity organized a day of keynote speakers, entertainment and interactive workshops that focused on topics such as bullying, sports, relationships and self image.

“We just heard from a UFC champion about good choices,” one student said to Juan Guzman, director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

“We just learned about why we bully and how dumb it really is,” another student said.

Students react to a presentation on bullying at the first BETA-Men Youth Empowerment Conference at UNK. The event focused on topics such as bullying, sports, relationships and self image. (Photo by Adrianna Tarin/UNK News)

According to Guzman, there has been a strong interest from middle school counselors to create a conference that targets young at-risk men and educate them on some of the hardships and obstacles they will be facing in the near future.

“We had a great turn out for the first year,” said Guzman. “Five schools from Kearney, Grand Island, Hastings and Lexington brought students. We hope to grow that number in the future.”

The BETA-Men Youth Empowerment Conference hopes to engage and provide space for young men to develop through scholarship, leadership, brotherhood and cultural awareness.

“Our goal is to empower young men to become better individuals and members of our society by equipping them with the education resources they need and a communal network,” Guzman said.

-30-

Source: Juan Guzman, 308.865.8127

Writer: Adrianna Tarin, 308.865.8529

One thought on “Youth Empowerment Conference motivates middle school boys

1. To say that UNK’s Office of Multicultural Affairs changed my life is an understatement. After being accepted to schools in Texas, New Mexico, and other universities in Nebraska, I’m definitely grateful that I chose UNK (mainly to be close to family). I think it’s very fitting that I now consider many people that I met through OMA my family. I’m very proud OMA’s many accomplishments. I definitely miss being a part of the many conferences that are put on by OMA. Keep up the good work!