Senior Show Opens Monday, Nov. 2, in UNK Walker Art Gallery

Three University of Nebraska at Kearney seniors will display their visual communication and design work in a Walker Art Gallery Exhibition Senior Show opening Monday, Nov. 2.

The exhibit will be up through Friday, Nov. 20, in the gallery, which is located in the UNK Fine Arts Building. Gallery hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

According to John Fronczak, UNK Walker Art Gallery director, the students–Nate Eskra, Jared Muehlenkamp and Hiroki Takei–have  worked from six months to a year on their pieces for the art exhibition.

“The Walker Art Gallery hosts senior exhibitions each fall and spring semester,” Fronczak said. “The senior exhibition schedule is divided between the visual communications and design seniors, who show together in one block, and the art education and studio seniors who will show together, or separately, dependent on the number of students involved and the nature of their degree candidacy.”

Nate Eskra of Beatrice will present “The Competitive, an Independent Film Competition,” which features prints.

“I have designed a personal invite packet for VIPs who are attending the ‘Worlds Most Exclusive Film Competition,’” Eskra said.

Jared Muehlenkamp of McCook will present “Opening Day,” which uses digital art or digital photography and computer programs to aid in the design.

“My show is about the relationship between the passion of baseball fans, and the tradition and dedication that the players share with each other,” Muehlenkamp said. “I chose to design the Cape Cod Colonials minor league baseball team’s uniform consisting of jerseys, pants and hats. I named the location of the team by looking back at history to the colonial people who started our country. America was a sort of a rebirth and that is, in essence, what ‘Opening Day’ is for fans and players: a rebirth, a fresh start.”

“Travel Tour of Japan” is the topic of prints being exhibited by Hiroki Takei of Japan.

“This exhibit will be one portion of a promotion of a package tour around the world,” Takei said. “In this exhibit, I focus on the Japan package tour and create a promotional campaign. I show some parts of the Japanese culture through my exhibit.”